Assignment 2 - Drafts
For the second assignment, we are tasked to simplify a place of interest/location in Singapore. I decided to use the location of PSA (port of Singapore) for simplification. Here are what I came up with:
I spent an entire day or two to trace the picture. I maximised the picture and used pen tool to plot out every line. After which, I shared the design with a few friends and to my suprise, most had trouble identifying the location. Even the very first simplification was hard for them. Some also didn't even know what the PSA is.
I tried to continue with the idea, adding more lines, refining the angles however it was still very difficult for most people. In the end, I decided to scrap the entire PSA idea. It was a hard decision for me after spending so much time on it but it has to be done.
I then started brainstorming again, this time finding locations where people are more used to seeing and know what or where they actually are. After much thought, I decide to use the Skyride or Luge as some may call it that is located at Sentosa. The Skyride is quite popular with the younger generations and it has a unique shape that I can make use of.
It's back to Illustrator again and the pen tool and below are the designs that I came up with: